Saturday, December 8, 2007

26 vs. 29 - My Two Cents


About a year ago I decided to purchase a new bike. Buying a bike used to be simple, but now you must decide between full suspension or hardtail, single speed or geared, or how about a 29er? The final decision was a 29er. The Gary Fisher X-Cal. was the winner. I usually go with the middle range price point stuff and upgrade when parts wear. My first impression was WOW! This bike just feels right. Big wheels do seem to roll over obstacles easier than smaller wheels. The geometry of this particular frame places the rider's weight further back over the rear wheel. This causes stress on the seat tube- mine broke on a ride this summer. The new GF frames have been redesigned to correct this problem. All in all I really like big wheels. I'm not sure I'll go back to a 26 wheels. Maybe I'll try a different frame, but I'll stick with them big wheels!

No comments: