Wednesday, December 26, 2007

So, Here's What I Do Between Rides!



First, I drink two cups of Yuban coffee. I get dressed and do all of the normal before work activities.





After a 12 minute drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I arrive here! I teach seventh grade English. This is year number sixteen.









It's a few minutes before the first bell, and the room is quiet and empty. It won't stay that way for long. Sixty-six students will pass through here today. Let me tell you a little about my teaching and my classroom.


















I love graphic organizers and have several displayed in my classroom. I use them on a daily basis. This one is on forms of literature.





























This one is about figurative language! They include several examples. I always have students look at various examples of a particular concept and then form a definition.




I always try my best to follow all of the correct teaching models, and I also believe it's important for students at this age to get up and move. Here are a couple of activities I do.























The first one is basketball. At the end of the class I ask questions. If the question is answered correctly then the student gets three shots. The shots are worth fractions such as 1/4 point and 1/2 point and so on, so we can get a little more practice adding fractions. There is also a Records board where we keep track of records.




Another game most students seem to like is what I call the Circle Game. Students form a circle and pass a foam ball. Before passing the ball the student must say something in a particular category. These categories could be anything from a prepositional phrases to compound sentences to literature elements. To keep things interesting we have "silly rules" like no names and no pointing.
















This is a Byrd Buck! Students can earn these by going above and beyond the call of duty on an assignment, exhibiting exceptional character, or simply by helping out in one way or another (running an errand / taking up or passing out materials).





Each Friday I open my "store." Students may spend Byrd Bucks on various items such as football/ baseball cards, crazy pencils, erasers, stuffed animals. By the way, I am always in need of donations to the store.


That's a glimpse of what I do between rides. I could go on forever, but that's enough for now. I can truly say that I love what I do!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I sure didn't have any English teachers like you. I probably would have gotten better grades, just like in college when I had that HOT Calculus teacher. I really paid attention. ;-) Neat concepts on the games, I'm sure it helps make class time more interesting.