Sunday, December 2, 2007

I'll Remember


I am a diehard Redskins fan. I have been since I was six. I remember watching Billy Kilmer and Larry Brown. I remember pretending to be Charley Taylor in my backyard. I remember the Glory Days with the Hogs, Riggo, and Joe Theismann. I remember the story of the Hogs telling the Cowboys the play at the line of scrimmage, and the Cowboys were still unable to stop it. A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to work with Art Monk at his football camp at George Mason. I also remember the day the Redskins drafted Sean Taylor. I was excited! Many experts said he was the most gifted player in the draft. His current coach, Greg Williams, said he was THE best player he has EVER coached. Greg Williams has coached in the NFL for years. I always look forward to watching him play every Sunday. On Monday morning I learned from a coworker that Sean Taylor was shot.


I went to bed Monday night thinking things were improving for Sean Taylor. Comcast reported he squeezed the nurse's hand upon request. I figured he'll continued to improve. On Tuesday morning while getting dressed for work, I heard the words, "He's gone, He died."

That hurt.

I did not know him personally. I never met him. Maybe he had some off the field problems, but according to his teammates/ coaches he had turned his life around since the birth of his daughter 18 months ago. I remember some great things about him. I remember his bone crushing hit that turned a Monday night game around two years ago and the fumble recovery returned for a touchdown that helped win the game in Tampa Bay. I doubt that any player has more crushing hits posted on YouTube than Sean Taylor. I'm getting ready the watch the Redskins play their first game w/out number 21. Emotions are running high.

Sean Taylor R.I.P. I'll always remember you.

No comments: